- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine*
- 1/4 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
2. Place the cashew mixture in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute; the cream will be thick. Indeed, I was amazed that a mixture of nothing more than nuts and water would grow so wonderfully thick in just one minute - a great discovery.
3. Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the cashew cream, cooked fettuccine, cheese, black pepper, and salt. Cook for a final few minutes until thoroughly heated.
Note: I used the vegan mozzarella from Galaxy Foods tonight. Use your favorite vegan cheese or even nutritional yeast for "cheesiness" instead if you prefer.
*Start boiling the water for the pasta when you begin the rest of the recipe. That way your pasta will be done at the right moment. Start with 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine to yield 4 cups cooked.
4 servings (1 and 1/3 cups), Calories 378
Although I was pleasantly surprised at the creamy thickness of the cashew cream - it coated the pasta perfectly, and if I had been served this in a restaurant, I would never guess it wasn't cream-based - I was also disappointed to find that the recipe was bland. You'll definitely want to add more salt and pepper. I also think that some vegetable additions couldn't hurt... so much so in fact that I stirred together the fettuccine and the green peas on my plate midway through eating. Wilted spinach or chopped broccoli would probably also taste great.